
So, I'm still reading Ophelia and enjoying it, mostly. She has some strange ideas on girls sexuality but other then that I think she's on to something. I think I may try to read something about boys next. I've heard a few books are out, that got pretty good reviews, but I can't remember the name at the moment. So for now my in-between book is "My name is Red" by Orhan Pamuk. I'm only a chapter into it, so I really can't comment on much other then the author recieved the Nobel Prize and is a visiting professor here at Columbia.
In other news we've finally decided. Decided what you ask? Lots! It looks like we'll be in Washington D.C. following the clerkship. Yeah. We really like it there and it seems like it will be the best balance for Phil's career and our family. Katie-how long do you guys have left? Phil will be starting his clerkship on August 6th, and we're going to live or try to live in Summerlin, and we get to buy a car which we hope will be a Prius. So that's about as decisive as we get--and we reserve the right to change our mind.
Katie- Hey, mama! Loved the pictures of your little one you emailed out. Blog more.
Carol- Where are you?
Cathy- USC seems like a great choice. And you'd be so close to Disneyland...maybe you could get a job in their comparative lit department? :) I wrote more to you...read the previous posts comments.
Love to all.
I put the picture of Olivia up because she is the most photogenic of the bunch, especially in my current state. It was taken a couple weeks ago when it snowed. Thankfully, we're having much better weather now. A couple more weeks and I can bust out my flip flops!
4 comments:
Hey, Sommerlen is a great area! I think it would be the nicest place in Las Vegas to live. Plus, they have a cheesecake factory...mmmmhhh. You've decided on your future, that's great. How about a name for the buxom boy when he arrives? If you're going for androgeny might I suggest gender-ambiguous names such as Cary, Stacey, Aaron/Erin, Taylor, Camille, and Ashley. You might remark that some of these names are clearly girls names...I beg to differ: Stacey is quite common among males in cowboy country (think Idaho), Taylor has been crossing over into the girl territory with amazing tenacity, Camille Saint-Saens, and Ashley Hamilton in Gone With the Wind. It's just an idea, of course, but he wouldn't be alone; there was a group of DJ's on X96 who formed a "Manly Men With Girly Names" club.
p.s. As of today I am less stressed, I finished another final paper yesterday and so I have only one more 20-pager to go.
I forgot that your name is also Erin. This actually makes your name the obvious choice for the boy. There was actually a boy in my home ward whose name was spelled Erin rather than Aaron. I really think this is perfect, what kind of patrilinear/matrilinear society has imposed upon us the sense that Jr. must follow from father to son or mother to daughter? Think of the great step you'll be making for gender studies everywhere by naming the boy Erin Jr., after you. Break free of the bonds of societal norms and constraints. I, for one, would feel that my gender identity has been enhanced by your naming your son after you.
It's not to androgenous but we're thinking (and pretty set on) Samuel. The middle name is still yet to be decided, but Phil has assured me that if I die in childbirth his middle name would indeed be Erin, with an E.
Congrats on the finished paper. You should celebrate with Good 'n Plenty's...Costco sized...and you should eat them all, so you won't fit into your wedding dress and I can come when you've lost the weight....hopefully in June. :)
Sorry, Erin. Cathy's not allowed to move her wedding date any more, because I already bought my plane tickets. NO PRESSURE, Cathy. Who would have guessed one could save $150 by going to Denver instead of Salt Lake? Thankfully, my mom wants me to visit and will drive me out to Utah, so it will be convenient as well as saving money. I can't wait! What are your colors anyway, Cath? My sister's wedding pictures were kind of destroyed by the one sister-in-law who wore a bright purple dress in the midst of everyone elses white and yellow...I don't want to be that girl, so clue me in.
Post a Comment