Thursday, April 12, 2007

Bridal Shower

Well, tonight some of the girls in the branch threw a bridal shower for me. It was small but quite fun and very delicious. There was bruschetta, mini cheesecakes, chocolate delicious things, artichoke dip, and fruit. If you ever have a bridal shower where most of the girls are Masters or Ph.D. students you can expect something like this: the question game (when they have previously asked the groom questions and the bride has to answer them) involved the following, "Cathryn, would Ryan prefer you to be a unimaginative positivist or a enlightened realist?" and "If Ryan had to travel to Antartica would he prefer a chariot driven by sea lions, an inflatable bodysuit, or a giant bubble?" and "Does Ryan prefer the spelling ketchup or catsup?" and "If Ryan were to be canonized as a saint, what would he choose to have his miracle be that he performed?" Ryan's answers were also quite amusing and lengthy, just as an example, he preferred ketchup, because it also sounded like the verbal phrase "catch up." While I opened presents, everyone was given square pieces of paper on which to write haikus or any other poetic form that they so chose. Here is an example limerick that was written:
There once was a young man from Dayton,
Who looked nothing like fast Walter Payton,
He worked among books
And shot sultry looks
And soon he'll no longer be datin'
So, as you can all see, it was quite the event (actually it was just low-key and fun). To top it off, we ended by watching The Office. One might ask, "How could a shower get any better than that?" To which I might reply, "If only my dear friends from yesteryore could have been there."

3 comments:

KatieC said...

I love chocolate delicious things! Can we have some at your wedding?

I am in histerics over the questions. I just love it! In fact, I'm going to read them to Ryan when he gets home, so we can laugh together. And maybe, I will read them again tomorrow.

I wish we could have all been there, as well. Is there any way to plan our long terms lives around our final living place? I mean, we need to start some kind of colony with a sign that says "cool people only" and all live in unique houses, with a short but interesting fence around the outside, so people will know for sure they are not cool because they are OUTSIDE the fence.

Seriously, though, now that Erin is decided to be in DC for a while, we will be close, but Cathy and Carol will be in opposite corners of the country. Maybe we can get in on some kind of special Cosco-esque frequent flyer program, where we save money by flying in bulk. Anyone know where we can get one?

Erin said...

A haiku for you...

A bridal shower
is not a shower at all
more like a sponge bath.

hope you got some lingerie. Also, can I just say how great The Office was this week? I particularly liked the shun/unshun part. I plan on using that tactic next time I'm mad at Phil. :) Or maybe I'll have to pretend to be mad at him just to use it.

Cathryn said...

I thought The Office was better than it has been in a while. I enjoyed the office betting, especially Kelly talking about Netflix, "Then, number 4 becomes number 3, number 3 becomes number 2, and so on..." Also, the part with Creed and the potato was great.
Your haiku was great, it might be a hidden or not so hidden talent.