Sunday, April 22, 2007

A Pat on the Back

I would like to announce to you all that yesterday I went to the bookstore and purchased our current read! I am extraordinarily proud of myself for doing this, as I will candidly admit that I have had trouble attaining our books expeditiously in the past. I am working really hard on my homeworks and am saving the book as a little treat for my plane ride home. Things are looking brighter, I've written all my papers and am just working on revisions right now. The revisions are BORING and sometimes I feel like I check my email and this blog every 10 minutes just to distract myself from the tedious frustration of not really knowing what to say. But, it is so nice to have something written down. I'm turning in everything Wednesday and taking my Latin final and then Sianara and Vive la Marriage! One last comment on Carol's comment about movies--I conclude that Erin's and my weakness doesn't inhibit our enjoyment of other films but sometimes we like getting lost in teen fantasies. (I love the BBC's Victoria and Albert and I might also recommend North and South as more romantic than P&P). As for Ice Princess, it was almost difficult to watch, but not quite. It included the regular features of a the mean popular girl, the parent who wants her child to go to an Ivy League school, and the child who finds that she is passionate about something else. With such a line-up, it of course included that favorite combination of lines:
Parent: "You're throwing away your dream!"
Child: "No mom, I'm throwing away your dream!"
And with that pithy statement, the parent comes to an incredible realization that SHE has been running her child's life and not listening to her child's wants. Very moving stuff.

18 comments:

KatieC said...

I should get a pat on the back, too! I bought the book yesterday, and should be getting it sometime this week. I must say I made a good deal of it, as I bought it for 25cents on Ebay. Doesn't a cheap, but quality find make you feel more satisfied with a purchase?

Erin said...

I must confess...I haven't purchased the book yet, but I'm going to check out that 25 cent ebay thing. Love it. Thanks for the tip.
Cathy- good luck with these next couple weeks of craziness. What is it, less then a month now until the big day? So very exciting.
What were you able to work out for the fall? Are you done? I can't remember exactly how things fell into place. Also, what's Ryan's plans? Do you know where you'll be?

Cathryn said...

I was able to work everything out so that I can move with Ryan in the fall. Actually, with a little luck I can even be graduated by August! My thesis advisor (yes the one I blogged about) is all about expeditious masters' projects. The top choice right now is USC. He's turned down all the others and is just waiting to hear back from Cornell and Duke (I think he's waitlisted right now at Vanderbilt and suppose this is the case with those two as well). He really feels that his tardy applications probably narrowed his options a little, but USC is 16 right now so he feels good about that. Hopefully I can get a job working on campus so he can get half off tuition. That way it will almost be as cheap as William and Mary would have been. I'm getting more and more excited at the prospect of California. In addition to working, I think I could do a fair amount of what we music people like to call gigging and could probably charge a pretty penny for it as well.
Yes, the wedding is in a scant three and a half weeks! Eek! We're both a little overwhelmed by this with the result that our evening phone conversations have become a little terse a times (which doesn't really calm one down about the whole prospect of marriage). I love him so much, though, and I am very excited. I am changing my name--and praying to be excited to be a Daniels. I really am excited, I just don't like when people assume that I'm going to do it (this might be caused by some kind of emotion related to pride). Anywhos, yes many exciting things in the future. And I would like to close this long comment with a quote from my Branch president as he counseled us, "Sex should be private. Sometimes there are a lot of private beaches at Lake Powell." Good old Presidente, you have to love a guy like that.

carol said...

Haha, I bought my book for only a penny at Thriftbooks.com (plus shipping). But I must admit that the shipping is pretty slow.

Also, I can't say I really know how to interpret the quote from your Branch President. I tried to get a second opinion from Jimmy but he had no comment, because he said sex is a private thing and he didn't want to discuss it :)

KatieC said...

Hee hee hee! You guys are funny.

Cathy, don't worry about the terse phone calls. I mean, try not to be terse, but also remember that you are under a lot of stress AND you are talking on the phone. I'm sure you have noticed that when you are physically together things are alot easier to discuss. At least, that is how it works for me and Ryan. I mean my Ryan. Sheesh, this is going to get confusing.

I also think that Cathryn Daniels is a BEAUTIFUL name! I don't know what you are worried about. Soon, you won't remember what your maiden name was when people ask you. :) Seriously though, I am surprised "Daniels" is giving you such a hard time. It's not like his last name is Butts or something wierd. My favorite last names from my students last semester were Bodensteiner, Ogunfolu, Mildenstein, Shinkarovsky and MalloumBako. I think these would be a little harder to get used to than Daniels, if that is any help. :)

Cathryn said...

Carol- You and Jimmy are funny. Did Jimmy watch the UFC on Friday night? Ryan was so excited because it was on regular satelite and not pay-per-view. He was disappointed, though, when his favorite didn't win.

Katie- It's not the name Daniels, I rather like the name, and I won't have to spell my last name out for people anymore. It's the idea of changing my name that is hard. I like the name Knoles, and I like how it represents who I am. I dislike the idea of patrilineal succession that occurs by taking the husband's last name and that people assume that I am following the patrilinear model. The assumption, to me, implies a sort of negation that a matrilinear succession is a viable option. Some people suggest that the wife and daughters take her mother's maiden name and the husband and sons take the father's name. I'm not advocating this, but I guess the assumptions that one should follow the patriarchal order is what irks me. However, I am praying to be excited to change my name so writing all this blither here is not "helpful" in that quest. I really want to have the same name as Ryan and be part of his family, but it's hard to feel that this doesn't negate the efficacy of my own name and hitherto identity.

Cathryn said...

p.s. I realize that the previous comment might be a little strident in tone, I really am not a crazy feminist (believe me there are lots of crazy ones). I think mainly I react "poorly" with change and have chosen to manifest this by reacting negatively to changing my name. I also react negatively to women keeping their name and to those who hyphenate, so there you have it--I am at a complete loss of what to do with myself.

Erin said...

Has Ryan ever thought of changing his name to Knoles? Phil says if he could do it again, he might consider it or have me keep Olson. As a side note there is actually a case in California dealing with this very issuse. Apparently the husband wanted to change his last name to hers after they wed but had to go through this whole hullabaloo, so he is now suing under the anti-discrimination clause. orsomethinglikethat.
But seriously, like Katie said, you'll get used to it. It really bugged me right after we were married and I had to introduce myself in our new ward with my new last name, but after a while, it eventually didn't sound weird anymore.

I found our book on ebay for 50 cents...but I like the 1 cent option better. Maybe I'll check out Carol's website. Thanks!

Cathryn said...

I suggested to Ryan (when he was a little hurt that I didn't necessarily want to change my name) that he change his name to Knoles. It didn't go over well, according to him it would be harder for him to change his name because he would be going against established cultural norms. I'm sure it will get easier and I expect my married life to be longer than my single one. I like how my mom has become a Knoles, and I look forward to that happening.

carol said...

I was that girl who practiced my new signature for a month before the wedding...okay I practiced it before Jimmy even asked me out!

But I officially didn't change my name for 6 months after I got married. I ended up finally changing it out of convenience b/c it started to be a hassel trying to remember what name to use when buying plane tickets, turning in homework assignments, and applying to jobs.

KatieC said...

I think being in a new place really helped me get used to my name change, because that was the only name people knew. Plus, my new name started with the same letter, so when I accidentally started signing the wrong name, I could easily fix it with a few well-placed squiggles.

Cathryn said...

Wow, thanks for all the comments on name-changing. I would now like to pose a question: My teacher emailed me this afternoon (after 4 pm) to give me two more sources to look at for my final paper (which isn't due for the others until May 4th, but I have to turn in tomorrow because I am leaving. I also am in the midst of studying for my Latin final (again, which I have to take tomorrow in my teacher's office directly following class). Here is the question: Should I ignore this email? Should I delete all aspects of my paper that might be influenced from these readings? Or, should I give these books a cursory glance through and perhaps make adjustments in the paper?

Cathryn said...

Did I also mention that one of these books is in French?!! Well, I looked through the English one and it mainly contains stuff that I had found elsewhere. I'm about to start on the French, but I have very low intellectual vigor at the moment. Question of the comment: I'm writing about Performative speech acts...who can tell me what they are?

Erin said...

I believe performative Speech acts are alot like interpretive dance. :)

Taryn B said...

You're probably right. On a lighter note: My roommate and I were driving home from the gym this morning and what should come on the radio? "Ladies leave your man at home. The club is full of ballers and their pockets full of gold..." Ah yes, Destiny's Child. If you don't think that memories of the Britt-hole came instantly flooding through my consciousness, then you are sorely mistaken. Those were good times. Also, does anyone have requests for the jazz combo at the wedding? Ryan Lillywhite (Katie knows him--do Carol and Erin?) called to confirm and asked if I wanted anything in particular. I couldn't think of anything on the spot, and afterwards have thought that a few Kenny G songs would be really nice. Any other suggestions?

Cathryn said...

Oops, my roomate was logged in as 'No Beans Ten' She hates beans and people call her Ten for short (her name is Taryn). Silly me, I forgot to switch over to my account.

Erin said...

"Wind beneath my wings" is a classic. I'd also go with Sting's "I'll be watching you".
:)
Good luck!

e

KatieC said...

Har har har. Okay, if you want some real recommendations, my personal wedding jazz favorites are as follows: The Way You Look Tonight, Our Love Is Here to Stay, Fly Me to the Moon, Dindi (a bossa nova), Ain't Misbehavin', I Can't Give You Anything But Love, I Could Write a Book, I'm Beginning to See the Light, On the Street Where You Live, La Vie En Rose, On a Slow Boat to China.

If he needs music, I can scan and email some. :) It's a long list, but maybe it will help you get some ideas.

Speaking of music, do you and Ryan have a song? Or is that too cheesy and/or traditional for you? haha