Wednesday, April 25, 2007
Done Done Done!!!
Yes, in case you missed the title, I am done with the semester! Huzzah! I turned in my last papers and took my Latin final today. All in all, I feel good about everything (though, I have no idea what the poet was saying to Caesar in one of the translation sections on the exam--really, I couldn't even translate it). The icing on the cake, cherry on top, and diadem in my crown occurred when I met with the Cmlt graduate secretary today to go over my pending graduation. She said getting me ready to graduate was one of the easiest things since I had taken all the right classes. Then she said that I was one of the best graduate students and that in the past eleven years she can count on one hand the number of other students who have finished the masters in a year. Then she said that the whole department was buzzing because I was leaving and that there was quite a hullabaloo in their meetings because they had wanted me to teach next year and they were really disappointed that I wasn't going to stay with them for the Ph.D. Yeah!! That made me feel so good. There are so many big talkers here and I've felt totally inferior this whole year because I have never really known where I stand. It was so nice to hear. It also didn't make me sad (well may be a tiny bit) that I was leaving. I don't want a Ph.D. right now and I am glad to leave as things are--before I disappoint them and my ruse is discovered. So hopefully, this means that I can expect some heck a good letters of recommendation. Sorry, to brag, but it was so exciting! They like me, they really like me! Also, as a side note: Erin, one of my old companions is pregnant with twins and due the same time as you and she hasn't delivered yet! I've heard that she's quite enormous. She scheduled a c-section for next week if the babies don't come out before that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Congrats Cathy! You're a superstar. Love ya. Good luck these next couple weeks.
Et tu Brute? That's the only latin I know...Congrats on your achievements in school, I'm glad everything worked out to get your masters so fast!
YEAH!!!!!!! Yes, you get seven exclamation points! I only wish I could be done with my program...
Thanks everyone for your congratulations.
Katie-Ryan and I do not have a song, how does one go about getting a song? We often sing along to Fergilicious and Riding Dirty--does that count? Perhaps we'll choose a ditty from the Letterpeople. They are Ryan's favorite group.
Erin-I can't believe your anniversary is tomorrow, 5 years! You have such a seasoned marraige. Congratulations, that is very exciting. Are you guys going to be able to go out?
Carol-My sister is pregnant with a baby girl and is naming her Presley.
You're kidding right..."thank you, thank you very much". Maybe I just don't understand the fascination with that name, but I know it's become very popular to name your kids with last names like Reagan, Jackson, Parker and my favorite Jensen.
Well, I don't know exactly how you go about it. In fact, I don't know how Ryan and my song became such...were we listening to it and just decided that would be nice...? It was always one of my favorite songs, so maybe I just decided. :)
Erin has been married 5 years! Wow, the years fly by so quickly.
Baby names are a serious subject. If anyone ever needs a baby name of their own, I have a book you should never buy. It gives the name, the language of origin and definition. Unfortunately, the person writing the book was obviously crazy, as they think "African", "American" and "Native American" are languages of origin. Take this entry for example..."Elijah-Blue (American) combo of Elijah and Blue; meaning-devout; alternate spellings Elijah-Bleu, Elijah-Blu" The thing that freaks me out is that if they are entering these kinds of names, there are people who have those names.
Five years does seem to fly by. To think, that 5 years BEFORE I was married I was just getting my drivers licence. HA! I consider myself pretty lucky to have someone like Phil in my life. He's fantastic.
On the babyname subject: I saw a little boy at the park named Ellington. I thought it was really cute and tried to convince Phil that it would be a great middle name for Samuel, but he didn't go for it. New York City has some CRAZY kids names. It's hip to find the strangest name you can think of and then name your kid that. I have yet to meet any Hans' though. :)
Ellington sounds like a very formal last name, kind of like Scarborough. How about naming him three very formal last names. Remington Ellington Scarborough--now that's a name you can sink your teeth into. I have a friend whose brothers are named English and T.R. (short for Thomas Remington). It's kind of quirky for both, but I actually really like it--and it fits them and their family (proper upper-middle class) very well.
Post a Comment