Wednesday, March 28, 2007
Too long...
Recognizing the large span of time since this blog got blogged, I thought I would add another entry as I take a break from Virgil's 4th Georgic (all about bee-keeping). It has been a difficult semester! It is hard adjusting to all the changes that will be taking place in my life (I don't really want to change my name), as well as fast-forwarding through my coursework so that I can finish early. I have already finished one of my final papers and have started another one. I'm frantic to get these done since they will all need to be turned in before the last day of class because I am leaving early. I talked with my advisor yesterday and she is going to do my directed readings this summer. So, I for sure will be done with all my coursework by August and probably my thesis. I actually might be able to apply for August graduation. Ryan is continuing to recieve positive responses from law schools, but he is still leaning towards USC (and he actually did end up getting a scholarship there too). We flew to Utah over Spring break to work on wedding plans and everything is almost finished. My aunts threw a shower for me at the Grand America, which was quite lovely and very fun. I presented a paper at a colloquium last week, it went well and the audience responsed really postively and asked a lot of good questions. I am sad that I am going to have to leave so soon because I feel that I have learned a lot here. I also learned that I was the top candidate to be this great professor's TA for all of next year, so that was disappointing to not get to do. So, you can see it's been a hard balance wanting to pursue two different paths. Ryan would stay here for law school or defer for a year if I wanted him to, but I don't think that's the best option. So, I'm finishing early, but at least I'm finishing. I am going to change my name, but it is a conscious choice on my part to do so, not just unquestioningly following a norm. This entry has been rather serious so I apologize. Things are going well (it was 80 degrees yesterday!) and I am happy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Doesn't Virgil's fourth randomly go from the bee-keeping instructions to the story of Orpheus? Or am I thinking of something else?
No, I think you are right. But, since each book of the Georgics is like 5 billion lines long, we haven't gotten there yet.
Cathy my love. Can't help you with Virgil but thanks for the update on your life. I remember having a lot of the same apprehensions. You're eager and excited to share your life, but that's just it...you have to share. Takes some getting used to but definitly worth it. I kept my maiden name as my middle name, but seriously considered hyphenating it. Phil even offered to change his name to Olson seeing is he isn't that fond of the Scarborough side at times...but that seemed a little weird. Anyway. I'm glad you've had such a succesful, if busy, year. You're amazing! Only a month and a half left for the both of us. I'm sure you're just as anxious to get married as I am to birth this enormous child! Love you lots. I'm still sad I can't be there. You'll have to blog extensively about it when you return from your honeymoon. Where is your honeymoon?
Our honeymoon is a Caribbean cruise, and we're both very excited. You did a cruise, right? Yes, it seems to provide the best combination between choosing to do nothing and choosing to do something. I often tease Ryan about him changing his name, which actually causes him to pale and try to find some remark about how it would be harder for him because it's not the social norm. So, then I just ask him if he loves me more than social norms, he he.
The name game...Cathy, Cathy, bo-bathy...that's what you should change your name to. Just leave all social norms behind. Or you could both choose a collective name...like "The Grand Dyad". And when people ask you, you can say, "that's Mrs. The Grand Dyad to you!" I applied for grad school with my maiden name, but was married before I started school, so I had to get all of my records changed. It was actually remarkable to me how many people questioned my changing my name. My professor, who is in his late sixties, told me that was quite old-fashioned. ;) Sure, sure, it was a no-brainer for me. I want to be so inextricably linked to Ryan, that everyone knows just by looking at our last name that we belong together. That's easier said than done, since there is another young Curtis family in ouor ward and everyone always gets us all mixed up. :)
Or you could go Madagascarian and you could just share a part of your name. My friend has a last name of Rastafarinindraibe, but only the "-draibe" part is common to her whole family. All of her siblings have different prefixes meaning different things. So they are known as the Draibe family...wacky stuff.
Post a Comment