So, I am about half way through the book and am thoroughly enjoying it, so far. I would be nearly done except I left it in California- doh! It's been interesting to read it and compare it to my memories of my own adolescence as well as that of my sister who is a current adolescent. It has also made me acutely aware of the sexism that infects our society, especially in the media.
I have also been particularly sensitive to how it relates to Olivia. My biggest pet peeve lately is when people automatically assume that Olivia is a "tom-boy" because she is active and likes trains. Who claimed trains for the male gender, I ask you that, especially trains that are named Thomas and Lucy? Why are we as a society so dead-set on categorizing people? Traditionally, little girls are supposed to like pink and dolls and be dainty, and boys are supposed to be active, and like cars and smashing stuff. I acknowledge that there are differences between the male and female gender. It's an obvious fact. But why is it when a child's preference varies or differentiates from the "norm" are we so quick to categorize? Why can't she like trains and dress-ups ? The seemingly harmless labeling that begins at such a young age irritates the crap out of me. Especially in light of reading this book.
It seems particualy prevelent in our LDS community, because we belong to a religion that supports traditional family roles. There seems to be a lot of confusion (at least in my experience) between "roles" and gender stereo-typing. For instance, there's the whole train/tomboy issue. My question, I guess, is this: how can I (we) help my children feel secure in their sense of self despite these outside comments and lables from others?
FYI: I've finally come up with a response to when people call Olivia a tomboy. I just say she is a woman of many interests and that seems to shut them up.
So, anyone else reading the book and more importantly where are the pictures of Katie's new man-child?
Monday, March 5, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Confession: I have not started reading the book, nor have I bought it or checked it out of the library. I'm sorry! I have so much other reading that usually doesn't get done that it's hard for me to justify reading something that has nothing to do with school. On top of that, I've got to research and write three 20-page papers and have them turned in before the last day of class (which means no reading days to work on them) so that I can fly home and get married. As for the whole tomboy thing. Anyone who calls Olivia that because she likes trains is stupid and narrow. My mom is in a gender role class right now and just gave a report on how we should help our children be androgenous. Besides that, I don't particularly think trains are that masculine. A few Christmases ago, all my niece Ashley wanted was a yellow truck. So, live on and let the unborn child play house with Olivia. Also, I second the motion to see pictures of the manly babe. Can you tell that I still have a Latin test to study for?
Sorry, I forgot to add that when we did originally choose this book, I really had all the best intentions of reading it. But, since for one class today I have read about 50 pages of the 300 assigned, you can see that I am quite overwhelmed. Sorry for my whining.
Excuses, excuses. Quite alright. We love you anyway, even if you are taking a smug latin class. :) This book is one that you could still comment/opine on even if you haven't read it. So comment away, and good luck your reading,tests, marriage preperation, etc.
P.S. Watch out for meteors!
http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/space/03/07/meteorite.hits.home.ap/index.html
Post a Comment