Friday, July 6, 2007

Boo hoo

I think that maybe I have mentioned Midwest thunderstorms before. Well, here is the kicker. Ryan and I went to spend the 4th of July in Ohio with his parents. I had finished most of my pressing work and left all my study-things at the apartment except for one small novel that I planned on reading. We got home yesterday afternoon and as we walked in the apartment the television was on, strange. I went outside to check if the plant needed water and all three pots that it was in were overflowing! We unpacked and then I went to turn on my laptop, my beautiful 15" Mac powerbook and nothing happened. Nothing! I held the button down, I check the plug. Then I noticed that even though everything else plugged into the outlet was working, the powercord did light up at all when it was plugged into the computer. So, I called a Mac specialty shop and they said I should bring it down to their store. They tried to plug it in and it wasn't responding at all. The problem? They think it got fried by lightning! They are opening it up today to see if there are any burn marks, but they are definitely going to have to replace some major hardware in there. It's still under warranty but if they find scorch marks then the warranty won't cover it. Wa. I called my old roommate who lives in the same apartment complex and she said that there had been this horrendous storm where she (26 years old) was laying in bed scared of the thunder and lightning and that one of the strikes had been so loud and the thunder so close behind that she knew that it had to have hit close by. So, we think that if it was close enough, the lightning could have shocked the apartment, making the t.v. turn on to reset itself and torching my beautiful computer. Yes, it was that bad. After I talked to my old roommate about it she checked her apartment and her computer was working but the television wasn't. There, I've done my complaining. Can you believe that? Blessings? I had just emailed an electronic copy of my thesis to a friend and I also had a printed hard copy. So, the only thing that is lost will be a chunk of money out of our bank account. Let this be a lesson to you all, don't leave your computers plugged into any power source during a thunderstorm or when you leave on vacation.

5 comments:

Erin said...

Oh Stink! I'm glad your thesis is safe, though. Did you have a surge protector? I thought those things were supposed to prevent things like this from happening.

KatieC said...

yikes! stripes! fruit stripes gum!

Hmmm...I've just decided that advertisement jingles work.

That stinks, Cathy. I hope for your sake that the lightning didn't leave any scorch marks!

Cathryn said...

We didn't have a surge protector, but the guys at the Mac store said that even those won't protect the computer if the lightning strikes close enough. We haven't heard back from the place yet, but are adjusting to an internet-free life.

KatieC said...

So, why do we have surge protectors then? I always thought it was lightning...

Cathryn said...

According to (my) Ryan's friend, there are constantly fluctuations in power current that aren't strong enough to zap your computer but eventually could wear it down sooner rather than later. From what I understand, surge protectors protect against these and therefore extend the life of your computers. I'm not saying that a surge protector won't help in a lightning storm, just not if the lightning is too close.

Another subject. Have we picked a new book? I just finished reading "The Ladies' Paradise" by Emile Zola. It was so good, I recommend it. I don't understand it, for once in a Comp Lit class I am actually reading some high brow stuff that I enjoy.