Sunday, June 17, 2007

Crocodile on the Sandbank

I am taking the prerogative to commence our book discussion. I thought this book was a fun read. Done. Just kidding. I really like Amelia the narrator, the funny addenda of her opinions are so great. I also like the historical factors (who doesn't like crazy Egyptian stuff?). Can anyone else think of things to discuss? Cool fact: Elizabeth Peters has a Ph.D. in Egyptology. I heard once of a girl getting a Ph.D. in something like 19th-century something so that she could write really great romance novels. I've wondered about doing something similar myself, picking a subject and getting a degree in it just to be able to write fiction about it.

Also, I promised to post pictures of the cardboard boat regatta but alas, I forgot to bring my camera to the event. So, if you go here: http://aamelyngoch.blogspot.com/ You will find a chronicle of it as well as a very funny blog. She's a great friend here in B-town and used to terrorize BYU as one of the 100-hr. board writers. Hope you're all well.
---Perspirating in Bloomington Cathy

12 comments:

KatieC said...

I really liked it. Especially after reading, crappy Twilight for my other book group.

I enjoy books where the main characters are flawed, they know they are flawed, they are trying to work on their flaws, but are obviously NOT perfect by any stretch of the imagination. Amelia was a really fun character to have narrating. I thought the author did a good job of making it a period piece by not only using the proper setting and Egyptian facts, but the language and opinions of the victorian upper classes.

I also liked imagining her trying to chase down a mummy in big skirts and falling all over the place. Falling is funny. It just is.

What do you think you would get your PhD in Cathy? Entymology? I think novels about bugs would really sell. har har

KatieC said...

Sooo...where is everybody?

Cathryn said...

I'm here, I'm here. Are you feeling better yet? I've been going to the library every day, reading, revising, reading, checking my emails, etc. It's like I'm so weary that I don't even have the energy to comment anymore. Ryan comes with me to the library when he's not working and plays intelligence games on the computer. However, progress is being made.

I liked your opinion on the book, however. I also think that Entymology might be a good subject to have under one's belt in order to right a book. Either that or Computer Science.

Erin said...

Hello. I've been on vacation. But I'm back, and still haven't read the book...shame on me. But I have read "Twilight" and would like to second Katie's review of it's crappiness. Honestly. My Aunt bought it for me while I was in Utah and raved about it, but honestly folks, vampires? Jeesh. I read it anyway.

Since I haven't read the book and can't contribute any substance to the conversation I will tell you what I'd write about if I were a writer. One word- Elvis. I saw him at Wal-mart on Tuesday when we were in Vegas and it all just came to me. Elvis is over-represented in music and film but has he tapped into the literature circle yet? Answer: not really. Sure there are a few non-fiction books out there but the Elvis fiction market is virtually untouched. The possibilites are endless. Think about it. "Elvis in Egypt", "Elvis in Space", "Elvis, Warrior king". It'll be kinda like the Ernest movies, only with polyester.
Ok, I'm done.
But if I could get another degree I think it would be in geology.

Peace.

Cathryn said...

Ooh, I like the idea of Elvis novels. Maybe I will write one. I have, within the past few years, developed quite a fondness for Elvis. I was running the other day on this beautiful solitary trail and my ipod was playing "I'm all shook up" I couldn't resist running a little faster, smiling, and yes, singing along. But really, who could?

In my directed readings class I've finished the Oscar Wilde readings (have any of your read A Picture of Dorian Gray?), the Baudelaire, and now I'm in the middle of Flaubert. I read Salammbo and Mdm Bovary and am now reading Bauvard and Pecuchet. Actually, I really like Flaubert, I had never read him before but now heartily endorse him. It's such amazing writing as well as actually being interesting.

KatieC said...

I am NOT feeling better...well not all the way better...and I probably won't for some time. I found out this last week that I have kidney stones and gall stones and some fibroids on my uterus... Oh, and I'm probably going to have to get a root canal on at least one tooth, because it is BREAKING...yes, a big chip just fell off.
Apparently, my body is falling apart.
Thankfully, it can all eventually be remedied, albeit slowly.
In the meantime, I am getting nothing done on my degree...hmm, perhaps my own novels will have to wait.
I am reading a book called "The Great Hedge of India" again for my other book group. It is pretty interesting stuff, and though it moves pretty slow, I would definitely recommend it to you all.

Cathryn said...

Wow, did all those come free of charge with the pregnancy or were there some hidden rates somewhere? Actually, I looked gallstones up on wikipedia and found out that they are in demand as a necessary ingredient in herbal aphrodisiacs, up to $900 per ounce. So, it looks like if you can find the right buyer, your gallstones might just pay for the surgery themselves. My apologies, however, on these multitudinous malaises. I really have nothing to complain about.

KatieC said...

It's a thought anyway...imagine, making convalescence a commercial venture...

There are two things I want to know...1) how did these aphrodisiac makers figure this out??? and 2) how do they go about procuring stones? I think that would be awkward...so, you guys do gall bladder surgery? Can I have the leftover stones?

Ewwww.

Cathryn said...

Actually, I think they use gallstones from cow stomaches, but I took the liberty of assuming that they only use cow gallstones because they are more procurable and that the efficacy of yours are not less, if you wished to make them available. Wow, that was a long sentence. Was it a run-on or did it make sense?

Erin said...

You shouldn't be allowed to use efficacy and procurable in the same sentence.

Katie, all I can say is "DANG girl!". That really really stinks. So sorry you have to suffer through all this, and all the while chasing after your growing babe. I wish we were in D.C. this year so I could at least help out.

P.S. I think you should try and sell your gallstones on craigslist.

KatieC said...

Okay, so it turns out to be less dramatic than originally thought. I went to a specialist, who said that my kidney stones are too small to be much of a problem and my gall stones are more like "gall sludge"... whatever that means.

I think what it means is that the pain I have been feeling is probably just a really bad UTI that may or may not have set up camp in my kidneys.

To be continued...

Cathryn said...

Well, I am happy for the good news, though I suppose you are still not quite functioning at 100%. Who is these days? I mean, it's July--our brains are melting.