I have a couple of books I am really wanting to read. I will supply a short summary for each, plus the link to the amazon.com page where you can look at professional reviews, etc.
Ella Minnow Pea
A book about an island of people who worship the man who wrote "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog." As parts of the sentence fall from his tiled statue, they learn to make due without certain letters of the alphabet. To look at reviews, click here.
The Wild Trees
The author goes to Northern California to learn about giant redwoods, and finds out AMAZING stuff. I heard an interview with the author on NPR, and decided that I need to read this. More info here.
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle
Author Barbara Kingsolver and her family move from their home in Arizona to West Virginia as an experiment to see if you can still live off what you grow yourself and buy locally. Locavores are becoming more common, and I want to read about it. More here.
We don't have to read any of these books, but I'm going to read them anyway, so if we want to make it a book group book, that will determine which one I read first. :)
Do any of these look interesting to you guys?
Wednesday, July 11, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
I actually think those all would be interesting. I think the Ella Minnow Pea or the Wild Trees would be my first pick, but they all look cool. My mother-in-law's relief society book club just read some Mormon book from the 70's called "Divine Womanhood" or something like that. She declined to read it because (I think) the book is full of quotes similar to, "If you're feeling blue, just put on your prettiest dress and make your husband's favorite dinner, and the look on his face when he comes come from work will make you happy again." Here's a strange random fact. My mom, Ryan's mom, and Ryan's brother's new mother-in-law are all Relief Society presidents. Isn't that crazy? Since Ryan and his brother only got married two weeks apart, we are wondering if there is some secret Relief Society network that works on setting up children.
Watch out. You could be next, you know. Not long after Ryan and I got married, another couple moved in and she was immediately called to RS President.
Yes Chapter 3 of "Divine Womanhood" is all about society presidents arranging marriages, it's been going on for years.
Well I checked out the list and I like Ella Minnow Pea.
I'd also be up for the next Harry Potter book, problem is I'm not sure when I will actually get to lay my hand on a copy.
Oh yeah, congratulations on your promotion Carol, that's awesome. Maybe you should study and see if you could pass the Texas bar exam. Are you and Jimmy still going to the DoJo?
I'm good with whatever, although I'll probably read the Potter book first, regardless. I went and saw the movie the other day and I'm in a Potter type mood.
Yes, Congrats to Carol on the promotion. And goodluck. Lawyers are obnoxious. :)
Well, pragmatically I am thinking that we may as well use Harry Potter for the next book since we will all probably be reading it anyway. That shouldn't take too long to get through and so after that I vote for Ella Minnow Pea.
Oops. Sorry, I really need to check who is logged in before I post my comments.
I actually wasn't planning to read Harry Potter. I know to most it seems like sacrilege, but I am NOT going to read the new Harry Potter book. I figured I could add it to the list of Harry Potter books I have not read. I read the first one, and frankly, wasn't that excited about it.
If you all are going to read it, feel free to discuss it, and I will try my best to make pithy jabs at the teen novels.
I already started reading the Animal, Vegetable, Miracle book and I love it. Maybe I will read that while you all read Potter, then we can re-converge on Ella Minnow Pea? Erin, you are the only one who hasn't said whether you are interested in it...what do you think?
Looks like a clever book, and a fun read. I'm excited to try it--after my Potter book that is. I am a fan of the Harry series, not necessarily because it is stellar writing but because it is a creative story and it gets kids who normally wouldn't read, reading. And anything that gets kids to read is usually a good thing.
Post a Comment