Tuesday, July 31, 2007

couch-henge

I was driving with my husband and child the other day, looking straight ahead. We stopped at a light and my husband said, "Look! It's couch-henge!" I had no idea what he was talking about until I turned around...and there it was. A great pre-historic structure fashioned out of overstock couches. Just what was meant by such a structure? Could it have been meant to tell time? Perhaps to understand the course of the stars? Or maybe to bring cosmic furniture-ness into alignment. Though modern archeology can tell us much about the civilization who built this complicated arrangement, it can't answer all of our questions. Couch-henge and its meaning may never be truly understood. It's a good thing I had my camera handy...

PS...Ryan passed his comprehensive exams!

11 comments:

KatieC said...

post-post script...Did we decide on Ella Minnow Pea?

Cathryn said...

Hey, I think that technically is "Couchhenge". It's pretty cool, either way. I think there is a Carhenge made with real cars out in the middle of somewhere, though. Where were you driving?

And yes, I think we decided on Ella Minnow Pea.

KatieC said...

Umm...my husband just pointed this out also. I will fix the post. Perhaps I was thinking of the famous structure of mangles cars in my husband's home-state of Nebraska...oops.

Cathryn said...

Oh yes, and congratulations to Ryan for passing his comprehensive exams! Exams feared by all Ph.D. students! For writing over 30 pages in a mere 36 hours!

Also, congratulations to Phil for taking the extra-tough California bar exam! For enduring feats of strength and stamina in his studying! For not breaking down in tears in the bathroom!

Most of all, Congratulations to Katie and Erin for being super-wifes and moms during your husbands' craziness!

KatieC said...

I'd like to thank all the little people who helped me get to my super-wife status. I would especially like to thank Lucky, the Lucky Charms leprechaun for being extra small and extra fun.

Thank you.

Erin said...

It's true. I am super, especially when it comes to humility.

Thanks for the couchhenge clarification. I kept on looking at the pictures tilting my head different ways and squinting trying to make them be cars.
Speaking of henges, Cathy...I saw that you actually liked "Heart of Darkness". (get it- henges, hinges--rivets? Don't you love how my mind works?) Perhaps I need to reread it because I absolutely despised it in highschool. And I don't despise very many things, other then The Grapes of Wrath. Perhaps I need to reread that one too...hmmm...

Cathryn said...

Yeah, H of D was so much better this year than in high school. I actually understood what was going on, rather than being confused at "The Terror, The Terror!"

Cathryn said...

Did I write "super-wifes"? Sorry, I meant "Supper-wifes", you guys are great at making dinner...just kidding..um, I hungy.

KatieC said...

Heart of Darkness is freaky-wierd, but I have to give it super-props for a couple of reasons. One, it attempts to make people deal with racism at a time when it wasn't dealt with at all (some people argue that he wasn't doing this, but I will fight that one). Two, he attempted and pulled of a stream of consciousness-type novel, which is hard to make work.

Hungry...I like food, too. So does my baby, I think he wants some now. If you will excuse me.

Mary said...

tee hee. couchhenge.

I'm a big fan of Heart of Darkness as well. It does such an excellent job at being creepy. If anyone else wants to read something in somewhat similar vein (creepy, unreliable narrator, dealing with different races at a time of colonization, shortish length etc.) read Pan by Knut Hamsun.

Mary said...

Oh, and like Cathy says, I'm sure you're all Super Supper-wives!