Ryan and I just watched the latest Harry Potter movie, which I liked very much. All this Harry Potter hoopla surrounding the movie and the last book has interested me in some critical reviews of that favorite boy wizard. Go to this site
http://www.countercurrents.org/arts-byatt110703.html to read a NY times article by A.S. Byatt, the author of Possession, whom I really like. This site http://wrt-brooke.syr.edu/courses/205.03/bloom.html to read Harold Bloom's criticism. I like Harry Potter and I'm excited to read the last book, but I think it is interesting to analyze what in it appeals to readers and what critics have to say. These critics are good at pinning down what they dislike about Harry Potter and why they complain about its literary merits. Sorry, I'm not so good at making the little link things so you'll have to copy and paste.
Sunday, July 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
The address to the A.S. Byatt site ends with htm, not html, if anyone has trouble getting there. Ryan and I were just rereading the articles. I think both authors are actually reacting to the discipline of cultural studies, which studies the popular and sometimes regards the popular and the good as the same thing. Sometimes they do coincide, but not always, and are drawn to discuss Harry Potter because its popularity demands the distinction to be addressed.
Sorry, about the grammar in the previous comment. I accidently changed the subject of the last sentence half-way through.
You should be sorry.
I just finished the Harry Potter book. Pretty good. I'll leave it at that.
Haven't read your links yet, Cathy. But when I do I'm sure I'll comment. So did we decide Ella Minnow Pea as our next book?
You've finished? I am jealous. Everywhere I go I see the book: at Sam's Club, the grocery store, Borders. Everywhere else I go I see people with the book. It's tantalizing me. I have promised myself that I can read it after we leave Bloomington, but until then, there is too much school stuff to do. I loved the new movie, though. I vote on Ella Minnow Pea for the next book.
Interesting articles. I'm surprised that you read and liked them, considering that you like Harry Potter. It shows you are humble enough to accept other people's opinions, and for that, you get cool points.
I think the most interesting argument "for" the Harry Potter books, which both mention, is the "better that they read junk than nothing at all"... I am sure I always believed that until about a year ago, when one of my young women couldn't get her nose out of a fiction book about teenage crack addicts...written solely for 12-14 year olds. I think I would rather her not read the five hundred f-words.
Potter, however, doesn't seem quite so lacking in ethics. But then again, I haven't read them...would a kid actually gain anything from reading them besides a chance to practice reading quietly? What say ye, Potter fans? I am willing to hear a counter-argument.
As far as culture studies goes, I think it is important to look at things that have created a phenomenon. I mean, ignoring Potter because we don't like it would be like ignoring the Beatles, because you didn't like their sound. You might think that those who love it are crazy, but they love it just the same, and it is interesting at least to try to figure out why... What is the magic Harry Potter formula anyway? Perhaps the Twilight girl figured it out and that's why it was so popular... There may be something to that, since I don't like either book and they both sold big...maybe you guys would like Twilight. har har har
Oh, and I'm cool with whatever book everyone wants... Carol? Mary?
I read the articles.
Katie- to clarify, when I said it was "better then not reading at all" I was referring to the Potter books. Of course there is trash out there that would be better not to read, then read...like People magazine. :)
In response to your what kids gain from reading Potter books besides learning how to read quietly- I say it's just that. An opportunity to lose yourself in a book (which you do) and develop a love for reading. Por ejemplo (that's "for example" in espanol) I had this great kid in my 5th grade class who was slightly below average academically. He was a great kid, but just couldn't get into it. He especially struggled with reading. So for our reading group one month instead of giving him "Because of Winn Dixie," which was a Newberry Honor book but as boring as dirt, I gave him Harry Potter. He was interested in the story and thus interested in reading. He'd also want to discuss what he read, so his comprehension level went up. He also became more interested in writing etc. etc. I'm not saying Harry Potter is the missing link in our educational system, but it is a good vehicle to get started with- for some kids at least. Also, they're fun stories...maybe not as original or as well crafted as Tolkin, but entertaining none the less.
They're the pudding of literature. Not that great, or good for you...but an occasional tasty treat. And some people like Jello a lot more then others--like the state of Utah. Ok, that's enough with the Jello analogy.
I think the appeal of the Harry Potter books is pretty obvious. They're magical. They create a world in which fantastical things exist and remarkable things can happen. Who doesn't want to escape into that every once in a while?
....it's kinda like Disneyland. :)
Sorry for the rambling. I was trying to respond to all of Katie's comments and they didn't quite flow as well as hers.
I think you both have valid points. Harry Potter is totally about Escapism, which is why it is attractive to adults as well as children. This is one of its weaker points because, people argue, it creates an "other" without much skill and since people love it so much, shows the laziness of society. I don't think J.K. Rowling is a good writer, as far as prose goes. Byatt and Bloom make fairly pointed remarks about her use of cliches and conventions. However, I do think, unlike some of the critics, that she is a fairly decent story teller. Bloom compares Harry Potter derogatorily to The Wizard of Oz, but I don't understand why why he argues that the book doesn't have creative vision. Many of her ideas (i.e. The Pensieve) are quite imaginative.
Also, I think children can and should read Harry Potter if they want to. I don't think it comes near the category of "It is much better than reading nothing at all."
Bloom's argument against the books is also that they don't really engage the readers, they are more like watching television. You read to find out what happens, not to appreciate the beauty along the way. Yet, I appreciate Erin's comment about the boy in her class. I think the reasoning against children reading Harry Potter is that there is better stuff out there, therefore you should first try to interest your children in literature like the Alice books or Wind in the Willows.
As for cultural studies. It is important to study what is creating a phenomenon. However, there are a lot of liberal arts disciplines (most, actually) who reasonably fear that cultural studies encroaches parasitically on their areas. I.e. the comp. lit. department at Indiana teaches courses not on the Ulysses theme throughout literature (like at BYU) but on our popular concept and representation of Aliens. It's interesting and fun stuff, but draws away from the written word.
Katie, don't give me cool points for reading Potter critics, actually I feel like a bit of a hypocrite because, as most comp. lit. students, I am a closet reader of Harry Potter. So, although I do admit that I like and read them, it is hard for me to do so, and much easier for me to admit that I read and enjoy the criticism.
Erin, I take offense at your jab at People magazine. I learn very pertinent information from people.com (such as, high waisted pants are back in, and who wears what dress better).
My biggest question is: why didn't Sweet Valley Twins ever create this kind of fervor?
Am I "in" the book reading club then? If so then I suggest "The World is Flat". I've been wanting to read it for months and the reviews for it are really good. However, since this is my first time in the club I'm happy to read whatever- as long as it's not about teenage crack-heads.
Of course your in! However, we've chosen Katie's book "Ella Minnow Pea" as our next book of choice (after we finish Harry Potter, which you probably won't be reading). You can submit "The World is Flat" as a candidate for the next book, however. I have heard it is good, my dad read it.
Post a Comment