Tuesday, July 17, 2007
A Warning
I remember once I was with Erin right after I got home from my mission and somehow groceries came up and she mentioned that she had taught Phil that they would buy low-fat and healthy options even if it was more expensive. I have always admired this. Well, grocery shopping for two people is quite an adjustment. Logically one knows that two people will eat more than one person, but it is still a shock to see the food disappear so fast. "We're out of cold cereal again?" Cooking has also been complicated by the fact that we left all our wedding gifts in Utah and have just been using whatever has been in the apartment in Bloomington. This means that we never have the right pan and whenever I go to the spice cupboard I find two or three jars of curry powder and no cinnamon. Things erupted on Sunday when Ryan was going to make a blueberry dessert with the fresh blueberries that we picked on Saturday (I'm still waiting for my laptop to get fixed and then I'll post pictures). The kaebosh hit the fan when we realized that we not only didn't have all the ingredients for any of the recipes but we didn't have the pan to cook it in. So, Ryan constructed a 9 by 9 pan with the use of lots of tinfoil inside our 9 by 13 pan. Then, I went to fix dinner and was going to cook enchiladas in our only bread pan, but the teflon is flaking off and I had no tinfoil left to coat it because Ryan had used it all. As you can see, this was all very frustrating and it brings me to the point of this story. I went to the grocery store yesterday and was determined to buy the things that we needed; this included some ground beef. Trying to save money because there was so much to buy, I disregarded Erin's statement of long ago and bought the regular Kroger brand ground beef instead of the extra extra extra lean stuff because it was less than half the price. The result? A disgusting lassagna and stomache aches for the both of us that are still continuing this morning. That is the sad sad ending to what happens when you do not follow the good example of your friends.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
It's true. I am a fountain of knowledge and advice. However, I too have gone against my own advice for the sake of frugality, every once in a while, and it has brought nothing but heartache and pounds.
Once I tried to make enchiladas and decided it would be a good idea to make my own "authentic" sauce. Bad idea. It was foul and beyond saving. I believe we went to Applebee's that night. My point- it happens to the best of us :) At least it makes good blogging material.
Hey Cathy, at least you had curry powder in your cupboard. That shows great taste on both your parts.
sorry about the deleted comment... I wanted to see what would happen if I pressed on the little garbage box icon. Now I know.
Mary, it's good to see you posting and reading.
Erin, as always, you have a good story.
The best way to save money is to learn how to make SOME things from scratch and make friends with beans, rice and potatoes. My husband is a fantastic cook, he has taught me that saute-ing onions and garlic with olive oil make an awesome base for basically anything.
I do feel your pain, though. That is the way I feel after every move, when I'm rebuilding my cupboards. Good luck with that...
Post a Comment