As per Cathy's recommendation, I say we discuss this book chapter by chapter. So, I guess I'll go first.
It's taken me nearly a week, but I finished the first chapter and a bit. I am not an economist, nor did I take any economics courses so I feel pretty inadequate in my analysis but my first impression was, big whoop. In the chapter he makes his whole "world is flat" theory so dramatic, but I say it's always been "flat" now it's just faster. Outsourcing is not something new. I dunno, thoughts? I am married to a libertarian so part of me thinks great! Outsource away! but, do you think there is a limit? Do you think it is good for our country? Thoughts? Like I said, I am NOT qualified to make any substantial comments. Just trying to get the ball rolling. Perhaps we should have our resident economist (MARY) chime in. Although, I hear she's pretty busy wooing Germans, attending diplomatic events, and generally being awesome! :)
loves to all.
Erin
Monday, October 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
sooo....is anybody reading the book?
Okay, here is my comment.
I totally agree with Erin. He has a point, that the smaller economies are better able to compete and be equal with the larger ones, but he was laying it on so thick that it turned me off. Plus, he tried to start his "World is Flat" with parallels to Columbus (which is why it is a catchy name), but it doesn't work. It's just confusing until he clarifies that the Flat part is the leveling of the playing field. Then he pulls out the old schtick about the world getting smaller and smaller.
Also, (though I mentioned this to Erin earlier) I thought the part when he talks about Japan outsourcing to China was like whoopdeedo. He can't believe that China would work for the Japanese who actually tried to conquer China just 70 years earlier. HELLO!! I mean, didn't we nuke Japan in TWO places only 60 years ago and now we have a good relationship with them. Why is there a double standard?
As for outsourcing--He definitely sees it as a positive because in his opinion this frees up the workers of the main country to come up with better and bigger things. I, however, think that this is a nice idea in theory, but am not positive that it is completely the truth.
Whew, there it's done. Sorry for any punctuation and/or nonsensical sentences--I'm watching Malcolm in the Middle as I watch this.
I agree that his theory is a little idiomatic.
Also, I agree with Cathy's idea that outsourcing may not be the best idea...I actually really liked the idea of people in the U.S. being able to work from home...flexible hours, good pay, etc. I think making this the standard instead of doing the same overseas would benefit Americans far more. In fact, I'm all for using these same technologies to let everyone work from home when possible. The office gets old pretty quick.
Post a Comment