
Well, my parents were in town this weekend and it just happened also to be homecoming week at USC, where Ryan goes to school and of which my dad is an alumni. To preface, let me say that I love BYU, but... USC puts on a good show. Imagine being in a huge crowd of people that doesn't really thin out wherever you are on campus. Then, you hear the band, from a distance, start playing the fight song and everyone begins putting their two fingers up in the air in Vs. Suddenly as the song ends, a huge machine blows confetti all out over the crowd. You notice that everyone is lining up and there is a narrow opening running the length of campus. Coming down this narrow lane that is flanked by security and fans, you see a group of police on their bicycles riding down completely abreast. Behind these policemen is Tommy the Trojan in full Trojan regalia walking with the cheerleaders to the game, behind them is the entire Trojan marching band all wearing Trojan battle helmets on their heads. They march like that in that narrow passageway from campus to the Colliseum. They are playing music, giving high-fives, and drinking the occasional gulp of beer that someone from the crowd hands them. It is hard to explain, but it was an awesome sight. I felt so much USC pride and thought how great traditions are.
A sports writer first penned the name of Trojan in referring to USC because USC was losing really badly, but he said that they fought like Trojans. USC's mascot is Traveler, a living, white arabian horse that Tommy the Trojan rides around the stadium before the start of each game. On an average homegame day, I can expect to see tailgaters paying $20 to park on campus and already setting up their barbeque at 8 a.m. during my morning run. On campus, on a game day, you will stand out if you're not wearing crimson and gold. USC has had a gold metal Olympian from the school in every Summer Olympics since 1934, and over 150 Olympic athletes total. You can go to a building on campus and see OJ Simpson's and others' Heisman trophies and other memorabilia.
Anyway, I'm sorry to bore you all, but it's so cool to see all the traditions and school spirit that people have here. Their 90,000 stadium is sold out for every game. During the rivalry with UCLA, they have people sleep out every night to protect the Tommy the Trojan statue from vandalism. They now have to cover him with plastic because once UCLA got a helicopter and dumped manure on the statue from the helicopter. USC however, let loose 50,000 crickets in the UCLA campus library.
I'll always be a proud Cougar, but for a little bit, it's fun to be here and enjoy the new experiences.
3 comments:
So, do you know the USC fight song yet?
Sounds like a fun weekend. I've heard those USC people take "school spirit" to a whole new level. That helicopter stunt is hilarious. I mean really... a helicopter?! Crazy. :)
I was thinking the same thing... and I was wondering which kid had a rich dad who owned a helicopter...
I like the crickets, but that is practically evil. I mean, don't they EAT paper...which books are made out of? Ouch.
Sounds fun, though. University of Maryland has a lot of spirit, but instead of parading around before the game, they go rioting after the game. They like to break windows and light things on fire... regardless of whether we win or lose. Crazy.
"Fight On, for Ole' SC"
da da tum tum, da da tum tum.
The fight song goes something like that. :)
Post a Comment