Friday, November 30, 2007

We've Got Spirit Part Deux

Last night Ryan and I went to a "pep rally" on campus to prepare for the big game against UCLA on Saturday. There was a ferris wheel, fireworks, a giant bonfire where they burned in effigy an image of a Bruin, people selling small stuffed animal bruins that you could hang from a string, kick, and do all other sorts of voodoo torture, and best of all: Ryan's favorite band The Bravery was there performing. It was awesome! The weather was so pleasant and we just stood outside, watching this great band perform with less people around than at a BYU top 40s dance. I'm divided about my favorite part of the performance, it was A: the members of marching band who came on stage and performed with The Bravery (particularly the guy who didn't bring an instrument, just decided to sing back-up vocals and play air guitar into the microphone), or B: How not only a student crowd-surfed, but the bassist jumped off the stage and took a ride as well. Unfortunately the Beer Garden was canceled at the last minute (seriously, they were planning to have one), but that didn't stop the air from becoming filled with the sweet, pungent smell of alcohol and cigarettes. The athletic teams made an entrance and coach Pete Carroll urged everyone to really party up through to the game on Saturday. One of the captains promised that they would play and fight like Trojans--I hope he doesn't mean that they'll fight really hard, but in the end a demi-god from UCLA will kill our quarterback John David Booty and drag his carcass around the perimeter of campus for three days until our coach goes to him on bended knee and begs for the corpse, then after the funeral our campus will be invaded by Bruins in a hollow wooden horse to be razed and burned to the ground. I don't think that he meant it that way, but one can never be sure. All in all, it was a great night and again, the band was AWESOME!

3 comments:

KatieC said...

I certainly hope he didn't mean it that way, too! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha hahahahahaha! You are hilarious Cathy.

UCLA sounds fun! I like the idea of playing an air guitar on stage, that is such a priceless image.

I miss you.

KatieC said...

Sorry, I meant USC, of course. Good job beating UCLA.

Erin said...

You USC people are ca-razy!