Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Stupid in America

When every I hear some news lately my first comment is the world is flat.
* My sister Shelly was just complaining this month about having to go to India for a week because she has to outsource one of her HP projects to them
* Jimmy's friend lost his computer programming job 2 weeks ago to India.
* GM just posted their highest losses. One reason why, they pay high benefits for their employees and Honda/Toyota are able to be more profitable without these overheads

I think economically we'll take some hits in the short term as other countries take jobs and produce goods for less but it will just make us have to work and be more innovative on a lot of levels. The US has been the top dog for a long time and maybe we've become complacent. But in the long run our country has an advantage over other countries because we have more freedoms and are not stifled by our government...well maybe on somethings we are.

Right now I'm reading about our education systems and agree they need to be more competitive so our kids can be better prepared for the job market. Think they probably will be competing for jobs against kids across the world not just country. Check out this story by Jon Stossell "Stupid in America". All you educators (or would be) in the group can chime in on this one...

1 comment:

KatieC said...

Interesting video... I agree that teachers should be fired if they are no good.

The one thing I wish he would have more seriously addressed is why the parents weren't chipping in. I mean, if your kid can't read in the 11th grade, help him. He failed to point out that parental involvement in education is vital. Many successful charter school REQUIRE each parent to be in the classroom for 4 hours each month. What a difference that would make alone!