Sunday, March 30, 2008
Feeling the Love
Since our little book group is in danger of becoming defunct, I thought I would post about the book that I am currently reading until we get a chance to choose another book. My supervisor loaned me "Love in a Time of Cholera" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez a few weeks ago and I started ready it during our cruise. I LOVE this book! The prose is just calming and beautiful and I think Marquez is crafting an homage to the aura and mystique of Romanticism. I am only half-way through, so I'm not sure how it's going to end, or even exactly what story he is trying to tell, but that is part of the beauty of it. If any of you are looking for a beautiful book to read, I recommend this one. There is a lot of flowery language between to two young people who fall in love and my supervisor criticized this and said that she's not really mushy like that, but this book needs to be taken with the context of Romanticism - not that it was written during that time, but rather that Marquez is establishing his characters as people of that time, and place, who have been molded and who shape their life experiences from the Romantic poets and stories that they have read. In that context, then, the flowery language becomes a little humorous as well as a commentary on what these two young people are actually feeling. That's my analysis for now, I have a feeling this book my end sadly (all the good ones do), but thought I might recommend it to y'all. If anyone has any ideas about a new official book club book (Jane Austen or Dickens anyone?) or would like to post about what they are currently reading please enlighten us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Right now I'm reading a baby book called "Happiest Baby on the Block". Let me know if you're interested in reading this one anytime soon and I'll pass it on to you :) But I think I'm done with parenting books for now, they all seem to contradict one another. I'm ready for a new read. I picked up Catch 22 last week but only got through the first chapter.
Related to Jane Austen books I haven't read Emma and for romantic books how about a Nicholas Sparks book. I've seen all the movies but do you think it would it be fun to read one of the books?
Nicholas Sparks books are romantic but I was forewarned that they are pretty descriptive: i.e. graphic descriptions of physical, sexual love. I've only read one that a friend (who has read all of them sent me). She said that the one I read didn't have anything, but all the others did. I'd be up for reading another, but would probably skip some parts. My first preference in Jane Austen, but I'm not too picky.
"Love in the Time of Cholera" is the book they send out into the universe on the movie "Serendipity" (I watched part of the movie a couple weeks ago, while running)
Maybe I'll try and get it from the library.
I read one Nicholas Sparks book before, but I can't remember what it was called. It's about some middle aged woman whose lawyer husband is a jerk, and they divorce and then she "finds love" for a weekend but then the guy dies saving his son in Peru, or something like that. I can't remember what it's called.
I'm up for anything. I wouldn't mind a Jane Austen. Weren't we going to try and read Northanger Abby?
I hear "Happiest Baby on the Block" is a good book. I've read the toddler version, and they had some good advice. If you need a good sleep book though I recommend "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child". It really made all the difference. I should probably reread it.
I've watched Serendipity a number of times and didn't remember that's the book they send out. How funny!
I think Northanger Abby sounds good. Have you watched any of those Jane Austen movies out right now on dvd, "Jane Austen Book Club" or "Becoming Jane"? I liked Becoming Jane, I watched it right after I had the baby and cried the whole time, I think my hormones were a little screwed up at the time :) I'm sure it's not really that sad of a story.
Oh and I'll check out that sleeping book you recommended Erin, thanks.
I was weepy in Becoming Jane too! As they were running through the woods to catch the coach I just knew that it wouldn't work out but I didn't know how. I still feel sad writing about it.
p.s. I say Northanger Abby
I think I may have read it a long time ago but don't remember it at all.
I haven't seen any of the new Jane Austen movies yet. I wanted to see Becoming Jane, but now I'm not so sure... :)
So, I'll go to the library soon and get Northanger Abby. I'm excited. :) I'm reading "1000 Splendid Suns" right now, but I'll finish quickly.
Okay, Northanger Abbey it is! I will have to go to the library to get it as well. On your marks, get set, go!
Post a Comment