Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Tiptoeing into the Circle

Good morning!  I still feel a little shy here, though I am loving the love of books and the respect you have for each other.  I hope a general sort of update (book related) from me is all right!

Largely inspired by one of Cathryn's blog posts a couple months ago and mainly by sheer desperation, I'm resolving to take back my mornings.  Since our move to London, my one year old has been waking at 4:30 or maybe stretching to 5:00 am and won't go back to sleep.  I've been getting up with her but crashing on the sofa while she snacks and plays (somewhat) quietly.  After an hour she starts getting bored and restless and so I blearily fumble through some sort of distraction, trying to give my husband and other kids a chance to sleep a little longer.  Then I doze some more in uncomfortable positions and before I know it it's time to really start the day and I'm wiped by 7:30 am.  So yesterday I decided that first off, Eliza (the baby), has got to go through some remedial sleep training.  I'm just not even going to pay any attention to her until 6:00, whatever fussing is going on.  I let myself wake up slowly and get myself ready so that by the time it is 6:00 I feel fully awake and energetic.  Eliza doesn't love when I'm on my computer, but if I'm doing anything else (exercising, puttering around the kitchen, even reading) she's content to play by herself and keep me company.  The past two days I've resented her early rising less because we're having some nice quiet mommy and daughter time.  I'm only two days into this but the difference is already so marked.  I've done yoga two mornings in a row (!!) and made hot breakfasts (I'm strictly a cold cereal mom.  However, we are out of milk and I'm too lazy to get to the store for more.).  I have more energy than when I was trying to catch up on the sleep I felt I was loosing. 

Okay, sorry, that was so long and random.  In any case, that's the most up-to-date thing about me.

And now, at last, is the book related update I was going to offer.  On my family blog I just posted a rundown of some of the things my kids and I, and just I, have been reading recently.  I'd love to hear from you all from time to time any children's/young adult books you have found that read aloud well.  We're just beginning that phase (one of the things I looked forward to most before ever becoming a parent!).

2 comments:

Cathryn said...

I'm glad things are going a little better. I hope you all acclimatize soon and that mover's remorse becomes a thing of the past. I'm definitely going to check out the kids' books you are reading, I haven't heard of a lot of them. Does Eddy like to read Hungry Caterpillar while watching the animated telling of it? It's on Netflix and Willa loves it.

Erin said...

Welcome, Rachel! Looking forward to getting to know you better. :)