Sunday, August 3, 2014

Books Lately...

I've been on a reading frenzy lately, it's weird. I feel like a shark who caught a whiff of blood in the water and just goes crazy tearing everything apart. I'm not sure what brought it on, maybe an escape from summer or housekeeping? I just hate sitting and being bored, so it's so nice to be able to pick up a book and get in a few chapters while the kids are playing nicely for a few minutes. Of course, last night I had a nightmare that June was drowning while I was distracted, so that wasn't so good. It's nice because it totally replaces social media or any mindless phone playing that I do, but it's bad because I'm just as absorbed in something else that isn't my children or my housework.


When I get a piece of easy fiction, it's like watching a movie for me. I cannot pull myself away until the thing is finished. I'll read it as I cook by the stove, I'll read it giving the girls their baths, I might find it on audiobook to listen to as I clean the kitchen, naptime productivity has been a complete disaster, the worst is that after we are both in bed and I can hear Ryan fall asleep, I'll get out a little flashlight on my phone and read some more. It's gotten ridiculous and tiring! I need to take a break between books because I struggle living in the world when I've got a little book world that I'm in the middle of. I'm sure you guys are all similar. Give me a real classic book, and most of the time I can take breaks and not get overly involved, but give me a good YA and I'm a zombie until it's finished.

That very long introduction brings me to..... To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han. Seriously, this was the best book. I read it in a day, and then spent the next day rereading it about three times. I think I'm in love with this book. A book blog mentioned it and randomly I just decided to log into the library website and request a copy. (I love requesting books and then having a few great novels waiting for me at the library! I think that's what has really got me going on this reading frenzy.)

It's a great book, the characters are well developed, the plot is mostly believable, and I just really loved the protagonist. She actually seemed normal and not totally crazy, and she loves vintage clothes and things and she actually really reminded me of Rachel, our new book club friend.

So, I'm not going to give you the synopsis. Just read it, it's awesome! My next book, I promise, will be The Wild Trees. I have it sitting here next to me right now.

2 comments:

Erin said...

I love when I get into that place where I can't put a book down. It feels so irresponsible, yet at the same time not because it's READING! Thanks for the book review--I'll have to put it on the list. Right now I'm reading, "The Pickup" by Nadine Gordimer. I"m only a few chapters in and her style is very unique. She switches tenses frequently and uses a lot of dashes to break up dialogue. It's annoying but it does a good job of placing the reader in the scene, if that makes sense. Anyway, tangent.

I'm still working on our syllabus-- promise. I think our first theme will be "Courage". Is that OK? I'm open to other ideas. I'm going to try and pull from different genres and keep the books on the shorter side--since we're all busy.

Thanks for keeping the ball rolling, Cathy!

redlambourne said...

Oh, I'm the worst at neglecting children and housework when in the middle of a book. Unfortunately, it doesn't even have to be a great book for me to hid in the corner of a room and pretend the chaos around me doesn't exist! Of course it's best when it is a great book. I feel much more justified then. And I hear that one of the biggest indicators of children growing up to be great readers is seeing their parents read. Or maybe I just made that up to make myself feel like a better parent? So, that book, Cathryn, is going on my list next!