Friday, August 8, 2008



At Katie Curtis's advice, I began reading books online at work to pass the time. Project Gutenberg is a great resource! First I read Mansfield Park, then I read The Count of Monte Cristo (not to be confused with The Count of Monte Crisco, which is a tale of love and betrayal between rival pie crust bakers). I decided that this is the time of my life where I should be reading all those books that I feel an educated person - especially someone in my disciplien - ought to have read. Those books that professors always refer to in class with the expectation that you know what they are talking about, whenever this happens I just nod my head and then look down and pretend to start taking notes. So, I LOVED this book! I eventually checked it out from the library so that I could keep up with my reading when I went home at night. This book is much different than the latest film version. It's all about innocence, love, betrayal, revenge, and contrition. There are so many cool themes that are played out, many types of deaths and resurrections for one. Ever since I finished, I've been trying to find someone to discuss this book with, but no one had read it. Finally I logged onto JSTOR and looked up some articles because I needed to engage in some type of dialogue to make sense of all the swirling that was going on in my brain about this story. I was really happy to have that reaction because it showed me that I could still be a lifetime learner even though I wasn't in school. It allowed me to study a little more in depth and contemplate the meanings, I am half-way tempted to write a paper just for myself (I haven't gone that far yet, don't worry). If anyone wants to read a great story that is partially so great because it creates this great ambivalence between right and wrong, then read this book! Rather, read something that interests you and if your interest is heightened at the end, then continue learning about it. Oh yes, the one detrimental effect is that I now want to name my first daughter Valentine (Ryan is not happy about this).


Secondly, I just finished reading Peony In Love by Lisa See. If anyone has read Snowflower and the Secret Fan, this is by the same author. My mom sent this book and it was a very easy book. I started it at the beach and finished it the same day. It was again set in 16th century China and I loved in this one how the mythology and religious beliefs really played into the story. I highly recommend it.

3 comments:

Erin said...

That's awesome Cathy! What a great way to use your at work time, when you're not chatting with me, of course.

Phil and I recently had a very similar discussion in that we'd like to be more acquainted with classic literature. I'd be interested to see your list of books that you think would be important to read.

carol said...

I've heard it was a good book, but when I see how thick it is I can never get myself to pick it up. I mean really, it's got to weigh a couple pounds. But since carrying around the baby I have a few more muscles and might be able to handle it now.

Whenever I hear about classics I think I should read that someday but then time just goes by. One classic I've been thinking about reading is "The Once in Future King", I missed reading that one somewhere along the way through my education. I think I just watched the movie "First Knight" instead, remember that great kiss!

Cathryn said...

Ha! I think I tried The Once and Future King once in junior high or high school and was quickly bored. I wonder if it would be more interesting now that I understand the norms of that style and genre, but it left such a foul taste in my mouth that I don't really want to try it again.

I'm thinking about starting a Dickens novel. I finished Bleak House in the fall, the first one I had ever read. My friend, a Victorian Studies Ph.D. in Indiana, recommended his book Our Mutual Friend. Or, maybe I'll pick something that is a little more well known... hmmmm, all the options.