Monday, June 9, 2008

Chocolat


Again, seeing the comatose state of our little blog, I decided to post about my latest read. I loved this movie when it came out, though I only saw it once. I knew there was a book but was only recently reminded to read it when my friend Trish reviewed it on GoodReads. This was such a delightful little book to enjoy. The way they describe the food and chocolates is definitely sensual and they present it successfully as this release of forms and strictures and an indulgence of the natural man. Unfortunately, I started reading it right when I decided to cut sweets out of my diet... but that's another story.

The book and the movie both reminded me of the foreign film "Babette's Feast" (you've all probably seen it). But basically food, and in the end a large and fancy dinner, break down defenses and the consumption of the food is described in terms of a love affair between the characters and the food.

The last chapter of the book was sooooo hilarious! Seriously, I think I may have laughed out loud, or at least I wanted to. This is a really fun summer read for anyone with some time on their hands... Carol? A baby and working. Erin? Two little kiddos. Katie? Little kid and finishing MA. Mary? Writing thesis.

Cathy? "Working" 8hrs/day.

3 comments:

Erin said...

I saw the movie a while ago, but can't remember much about it, other then I enjoyed it. I'll have to check out the book next. Thanks for the review.

I'm reading "There is no me without you" right now. It's about AIDS orphans in Africa. It's pretty heavy stuff, but interesting. I'll do a "review" when I'm done.

I still need to rent Northanger Abby. I think it'd be fun to see how the book and movie compare.

Cathryn said...

Oooh, I did what Carol did adn ended up watching on YouTube. Not the best picture quality but it sure is convenient.

KatieC said...

I got it from the library for free and I checked it out for three weeks, so I'll have time to watch it all three minutes at a time. ha ha.

Chocolat sounds nice like a nice read, but real chocolate sounds better. I'm hungry.

If anyone needs more to read, I'm currently reading Carry On, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse. It is very pithy. Each chapter is a new story, which is perfect, since I can't sit to read very long or very often. There is a TV version of the many adventures with Hugh Laury and he is rootin' tootin' hilarious.