In the book when Catherine first noticed an older man watching her and Tilney dance, I began to think she was going to find a new romance. Then we find out it's just the General (Tilney's Dad)...but wait the General continues to give Catherine all these compliments, and desires her company more and more. He invites her to dinner with the family and then to Northanger Abbey. You can see how I might be misled to conclude Catherine was going to end up with the General. What was I thinking!!! This is a Jane Austen book not some book where old men end up with teenagers. I had to laugh at myself.
I was curious about the movie adaption after Katie mentioned it and looked it up on youtube to get a glimpse. I watched 5 minutes of it and was hooked. I watched the whole thing on youtube on Sunday. It followed the book very closely and I liked how they made Northanger Abbey this spooky place. I didn't get this feeling when I read the book, but believe that was the author's goal. How did you feel about the Jane Austen's description of the Abbey? And I didn't think the ending was as climatic as it is in some of her other books, what did you think?
Oh and lastly I would like to give a shot out to Erin on her 27th B-Day. Happy Birthday ! Here's a new pic of the baby, drool and all.
. 
5 comments:
What a cutie! Seriously, half-asian babies are the best!
Okay, now for the book. Ha! Carol, that is completely hilarious that you thought the old man was going to get the girl. I agree, this ending was a little anti-climactic compared with how I like to see a story end. Then again, I feel like Jane Austen is the queen of understatement and that a close reading of the endings of her other novels shows that most of her stuff ends this way. Sometimes she packs a little more punch, but usually it's not as breathtakingly romantic as the movies portray it. Case in point: the British released version of the Keira Knightly P&P did not have the last scene in it because they thought Brits wouldn't like a mushy Austen.
I think Austen purposely went out of her way to describe the abbey as non-spooky. She's poking fun at the "horror" novels of the day by having everything turn out exactly opposite as Catherine supposes them to be (at the abbey).
If I remember correctly, I think that my professor tagged this novel as her best. It certainly reads differently than her other ones. The irony is very strong and instead of having witty conversation, the entire novel becomes a witticism about novels of the day. Capeesh? (I'm not sure if I'm making sense, plus I'm rambling a little and am not sure how plausible my theories are.) So, if my conjectures are correct, the heightened irony and sense of the author's own voice and how the novel comments upon itself (can't remember the name of this literary device but the main purpose is to show that the novel is self-aware). The novel sees itself as a novel and comments on itself. Whew. Okay, so good book. I'm always disappointed not to have a ravishingly beautiful heroine and of course I was sad that Mr. Tilney was not head-over-heels in love with Catherine at first, but I think that it shows a maturity and growth in Jane Austen's writings.
Ok, I'm not done yet, so I'm not reading any comments 'til I finish. :) (Don't want to spoil the ending)
Carol, Sam had that exact same outfit. From the Gap, right? It came with this cute little jacket and hat that he hardly ever wore. Soo, cute.
Back to reading.
Cathy... I think you are looking for "reflexivity"?
I'm not done yet, but I'll keep you all posted.
Bytheby, do you all have skype by chance? I can't get my dumb ichat to work yet, but I have gotten skype up and running. Do you guys know if Skype will conference call?
I'll work on ichat in earnest after finals is over.
Ok-- I finished! I agree with you Cathy. I like the kind of tongue-in-cheek style of this novel. I had to reread the ending because everything seemed to resolve in a single paragraph. I didn't mind the matter of factness, though, and appreciated the irony.
I really was impressed by the variety of her characters in this novel. Isabella, who is a big fat pretender. Her brother, who is a bit of a shmuck. Mr. Tilney who is pleasant but not very passionate or driven. Miss Tilney, who seems to be the most normal of the bunch. And Cathryn, who is imaginative but not all that bright or socially savvy. I liked the honesty of the characters and how she showed all of their imperfections.
Anyway, I have more to say...but I gotta dash. I shall comment more later.
Oh, I also wanted to add...that I actually visited Bath when I was in high school. My parents and I took a trip to England and visited all the sights. It was great, and I even tasted "Bath Water". Seriously, they have a fountain where you can drink from the spring. It was pretty gross, but apparently it is "good for your health". It was fun to imagine the Bath I knew while reading this book.
Post a Comment