Wow, we are really the worst at keeping this blog going. Of course, some of you have just had babies, and Rachel just moved to London, but Carol really has no excuse. I'd like to float the idea of a semester system for the book club. We divide the year into three semesters (Fall, Winter, Summer) and then read four books per semester. We choose a theme for the books of each semester. That way, we can have four months of books planned at a time. Maybe we can each take assignments to come develop a semester/theme/books. For example, Katie C. might be in charge of this Fall, Rachel of Winter, etc. Here is an example of what I'm talking about. It's a semester from my finer things book club back in Houston. We also did a semester on Lyric poetry that was fun - we divided each month into love poetry, poetry on death and mourning, religious poetry, etc.
Theme: Pride
Books:
May -"The Great Sin" from Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
June - Little Dorrit by Dickens
July - King Lear
August - Pride and Prejudice
I don't really want to do this one again because I did it in Houston already, but I like the idea of having a schedule. That might get us posting and reading more regularly. We could try to write about the book within the first week of the month, then use the rest of the month to read for the next month.
Thoughts?
Sunday, June 29, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I'm up for a schedule. I like the semester idea, keeps it organized. I'm up for whenever is best, just plonk me in!
Great idea! Give me a theme and I'll start collecting books. Maybe we could send out an email to the group when we put a blog post up. I have a blog reader that notifies me but an email might help us with our momentum.
Agreed! A theme sounds great. I am a terribly slow reader and with life the way it is currently, I may not always finish the book in time, but if you guys are okay with that, I'm totally fine with a schedule.
Sorry I didn't check the blog while we were out of town. :)
I like a schedule, the deadlines will help me prioritize.
Post a Comment