Friday, May 15, 2009

New Book

I'll admit it - we are defunct right now but I have a new book that will be a good read for all of us. No, it will not be a treatise on globalization (see The World Is Flat) nor will it be a self-help/feel guilty book (see Bonds That Make Us Free). Since I have no desire to finish the first book and only a 70% desire to finish the second book as soon as I finish feeling guilty about it I have decided that I will choose a novel. Read along if you like, but this is what I have chosen for our next Obtuse reading.

Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier
Two of my friends have read it and say it is very good. It was also made into a movie by Hitchcock. It should keep our attention and give us a little escape. I pledge to obtain a copy from the library within the next week and to begin reading!

6 comments:

carol said...

Hmmm, I'm actually not reading anything right now. I'll look into getting a copy too.

Erin said...

It should be noted that the last two book-duds were my picking. I should be banned from picking for at least a year. :)

I'm liking the sound of your new pick Cathy. I'll finally bite the bullet and pay my library fines and pick it up this next week!

Cathryn said...

Ha ha - I thought The World Is Flat was Carol's book idea!

It's nobody's fault. I think I'm just bad with non-fiction/non-novel type books.

KatieC said...

I think I'm still technically on vacation before I have to start work on my thesis again...

I'll pick up a copy, too! Hopefully, it will be gripping enough to keep me awake during 2am feeding sessions. :)

Cathryn said...

Yeah! Katie is joining us! The party is started.

I just checked my book out on Saturday!

Cathryn said...

FINISHED! I started the book yesterday and finished today! This is not a comment on my mad reading skills, just the inanity of my job!

Let me know when you want to discuss. Did anyone notice that the very first sentence is perfect iambs!

"Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again." short long, short long, short long, etc. etc.

I think that doing completely in perfect iambs sets the stage and brings you into another world. I wonder if she did this on purpose or if it was the natural word order she was looking for.