Cathy and I were talking (virtually, of course) and thought that it might be fun to revive our book club with a godless young adult novel. I'm sure most of us have recieved all the email forwards about how horrible, awful, and god hating The Golden Compass is. I try and make it a practice never to follow the advice of an email that curses me with "vile and faithless children if I don't forward it on to everyone I know" so for that I say we read The Golden Compass. How about we start in January? So put in your library requests now.
Hope everyone is having a great December!
Erin
P.S. Seeing as this is more of a friends blog then a book club I say we all post pictures/stories from our holiday. I want to see Carol pregnant!! :)
Wednesday, December 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I'm intrigued. Especially, since my mom also received a link to a website all about how godless it is...while the wikipedia article seems to claim the opposite.
Will we see what we want to see? Is it a great book with no moral? Or a bad book with a bad moral? Or a confusing book with some kind of moral-looking thing that tastes like rubber? He did receive all kinds of awards for it, so it's probably worth figuring out! I'll try to get a copy.
Oh, and I second the need for prego Carol pictures.
My sister-n-law has all these books, so I was talking to her about them and she said you would have to read the whole series to get the full picture of the anti-God/religion themes of the books.
I figured they're kid books so they should be a fast read, but she said they don't move that fast. Let's read one and discuss ways you would counter the argument that there is no God.
I will also post some "lovely" prego pictures of myself when I get home later. Happy New Year!
Hooray, people are posting/commenting. It's good to hear from both of you.
Agreed. I was wondering where Carol was.
I've also heard the same thing about the Golden Compass series. I'm still for reading it, though
Happy 2008!
Post a Comment