Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Have You Finished Yet?

So, I finished the book. It took about an hour. As we suspected it is a bit cheesy and predictable, however, I did find myself enjoying it and I got a bit teary-eyed toward the end. Anyone else have a chance to read it yet? Seriously, no excuses. If you don't want to buy it you could go sit in Barnes and Noble for an hour and have it read. :) Good luck my ladies. Have a great holiday.

Erin

P.S. Congratulations to our newly engaged Cathy! I think you should post a picture of the ring. :)

2 comments:

Cathryn said...

Okay,
I read the book and was pleasantly surprised. All I've been reading outside of class have been a bunch of Da Vinci Code-esque novels that my uncle keeps passing down to me. The plot lines have everything in commmon but the names of the characters and the big whammy at the end is that Christianity is one giant conspiracy and we are all deluded (but delusion is good and people are happy in their faith). Anywho, the writing is pretty terrible in these books and I thought our Christmas Box writer wrote well. I liked his descriptions and sentence structure. I think the story itself was a little sparse. The first gift of Christmas? I mean really. And a lady that writes letters to her dead child? Call me callous, but it's weird. Maybe I'm just hardened and insensitive because I haven't had children yet. Anywho, I'd like to put to vote on the veracity of the story. The afterword says that this angel statue is in the Salt Lake cemetary. Hey, methinks we can hold a physical gathering of our group in two weeks in NY!
Cathy

carol said...

I read the book over the holidays and agree with Erin that the beginning was a bit slow but by the end I couldn't put it down. (Maybe because it was so short I knew I would be done any minute.)

As I read the book and thought about the gift of Christmas, I tried to think of a way I could incorporate Christ more in my Christmas. I know in my family the only thing we really did was act out the Christmas story and dress up. Then it was back to opening presents!

The only idea I had came from the book of leaving an empty present under the tree, and maybe have it be the last present we open. But I didn't do it, because it wasn't quite what I was looking for. If I think of something better I'll let you know. Did your family do anything special to help remember Christ during the holiday?