Friday, July 18, 2014

Fall Semester

Erin is IT for our Fall Semester theme and syllabus. I was thinking of themes, but it's probably better and more fun if the person who is choosing the books gets to decide the theme. So, it's up to you, Erin, but it better be awesome!

There's no rush, just post it as a whole with dates for each book discussion sometime before September. We'll need four books for September, October, November, December. Use your discretion for book clubbing around holidays. You should also be in charge of reminders during the semester and kicking of our butts into action as needed.

Also, just throwing it off the top of my head - but you could make assignments to lead discussion questions or present on certain relevant topics for each month too. Again, I'm just swinging here, so feel free not to do that.

If anyone is looking at another good summer read, I just finished The Light Between Oceans. It was horribly sad that ended as satisfactorily as possible. One of those situations where you feel for every character and there is no real hero or villain. If I had known, I probably would have avoided it since I like happy things and at one point there were tears streaming down my face, but I can still say it was a good book and recommend it. It wasn't a downer in the end, if that makes sense. On sale at Costco now!

3 comments:

Carol said...

So when we say book discussions once a month, what are you seeing for this?

redlambourne said...

Like, aim to finish the book by the 25th of the month and then post/discuss for the next week? Until starting fresh the next month? Or post during the month as we're working through the book?

Cathryn said...

Those are good questions, I'm not sure. I guess it's up to Erin in her schedule. Maybe she wants us to officially "discuss" the book starting on the first Thursday of the month, or something and we take the month to discuss it while reading ahead for the next month. I think it can be fluid, but I think there should also be a date that's official to start discussions. I also just see the blog as a place to share about our other readings and ideas too. So, if anyone is reading something good, they can write a little post about it. Kind of a gathering place where we share books and ideas and keep up on each others' lives.