Yay, for friends and books! I am excited to be reading with you guys again, but I'm most excited to have an excuse to hear from you guys on a more regular basis! I'll start off by posting a picture of my belly. :) Baby number four is on the way in a little more than 2 weeks, so I'm feeling totally unable to move and have an easier time justifying a few minutes on the computer...
I realized the other day that by the time my mom was my age, she was pretty much done having children...in that moment, it was like a light turned on and I realized that I might not always been in the first stage of my life as a parent...too young for middle age, but not exactly a "young" mother anymore... It also made me realize that I was really, really lazy before I started having kids and I wonder if I will become even more industrious as I get older or if I will just become more efficient and choosy.
So Wonder is a really interesting read that brings a lot of questions. It is particularly interesting now as a parent, thinking about my children reaching that age in a very short time...how would I have responded in these different situation? How would my children respond? What kind of things can I teach my children and what kind of experiences can I give my children to increase their integrity and bravery in unusual circumstances...particularly at the trying ages of middle and high school?
I hope you guys enjoy starting it up and I look forward to hearing your thoughts as you start reading!
Katie
Thursday, April 10, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Lookin' good, mama! Good luck these last couple of weeks!
Wonder looks like a great start to our club. I'm going to Amazon it soon!
I'm very much in the "not really a young mother" stage, too. Olivia is 10 now! Middle school and puberty are knocking on our door. I hyperventilate a little when I realize the time I have left with her at home is less then then time I've had her. So much to prepare her for. Above all I want her to be kind, brave, and confident in who she is. We've been out of the baby stage (no diapers, no bottles sleeps through the night) for a couple years now. It's awesome. Then I went and got pregnant again, and we have a big fat reset button going on. I'm wondering how this one will be. 4 is a lot of kids, but the older kids are..well, older and pretty independent. I'm hoping to have lots of help--or at least not the overwhelming wave of competing needs that I had when they were younger. Parenting is cray cray. (as the kids these days say)
We should all do a little "Where are they now" update. It's been too long!
Love you ladies!!!
e
The book was awesome! I finished it in 24 hours, while neglecting kids and laundry, dinners, and cleaning the bathrooms. Hooray for bookclub! Erin's definitely beating us with "older kid" experiences right now, but Katie is the first to #4!
woah, Cathy- you're speedy!! My last class is Wed and I promise to get to the book as soon as that's over. Britt and I are taking a quick road trip to St. G so maybe I can get some good reading in then...and hopefully see you. Where do you live now?
I'll just jump right in and say hello and thank you for including me in this group! I look forward to making friends with you all. Cathryn (I still refer to her as Ms Knowles in my mind, from our Latin BYU days) blew me away with her invitation, I was that flattered. I've poked my nose in a little at the space here and lurked a bit in your other public spaces and I am so impressed by what I see. You ladies are ones I would like to know, for sure.
So, I'm Rachel and I studied Latin and all things classic (with a capital "C") at BYU and was fortunate enough to know Cathryn (and other amazing friends) within that program. I love reading. I love chocolate. I have three kids and a handsome husband. I love museums. I love thrifting. That's about it!
I read *Wonder* a couple months ago when a friend in my ward loaned it to me (dropped it off on my doorstep) because I'd mentioned to her that it was on my radar. There's something about personally loaned books, don't you think? I'm a library girl and an in-denial Amazon used book hoarder, but those books can sometimes just sit on my shelf unread until they have to be returned upon penalty of a fine or be moved by my long-suffering husband. A book loaned by a friend, however, gets read. I feel I have to be a better borrower than usual and I have to report back!
Okay, sorry. I'm really good at tangents. Anyway, I had not been ready to jump into reading *Wonder* right away because I'd just come off of *The Fault in Our Stars* and was simply not ready to deal with another young adult novel that made me weep into my sheets late at night. I can only handle so many of those types of books in a year and I was afraid *Wonder* would be one of those. And it wasn't. It was wonderful in a different way. A less sobby way. I admit I still got a bit choked up here and there. Naturally. But the narrator were perfect for their jobs. I saw through their eyes but there wasn't so much sentimentality. Just a sort of, that's the way it is and let's get through this. I even chuckled more than I thought I would. I assessed my own response to people. I thought about how to talk with my young kids about that stuff. I had a conversation with my 5-year-old about it. I sang that Primary song (If you don't walk as most people do) with my boys.
Good book! Good day's mommying!
And I returned my friend's copy with a favorable and thankful report.
Post a Comment